Mr. Maloy (History, Debate)
I began teaching the first year LPA opened in 2006. In previous careers, I served as an officer in the Air Force followed by nearly 20 years with various high tech companies managing business development and online marketing campaigns. I have a BA degree in History from Weber State University and a Master’s Degree in Secondary Education from Utah State University. I am a certified Level 2 teacher by the Utah State Board of Education.
My motto is, “Building the Future by Making the Past Come Alive Today.” I LOVE teaching junior high students about Utah History and American History, as well as coaching Speech & Debate! I have an energetic style of involving the students in fun and thought-provoking ways. Parents are absolutely allowed to visit anytime they wish to see how their students learn in my classroom (although you may want to check first to make sure you don't come on a testing day).
- The imaginary king who changed the real world (TED-Ed, 5:10 min)
- Is there any truth to the King Arthur legends? (TED-Ed, 5:42 min)
- The princess who rewrote history (TED-Ed, 5 min)
- From pacifist to spy: WW2’s surprising secret agent (TED-Ed, 4:30 min)
- The legend of Blackbeard the Pirate (EPIC, 6:13 min)
- Blackbeard's Ship the Queen Ann's Revenge (Smithsonian, 3:20 min)
- Building the world's longest underwater tunnel (Ted-Ed, 5:37 min)
- The Legend of Billy the Kid (YarnHub, 12 min)
- The submarine that sank a train (Smithsonian, 3:07 min)
Extra Credit: IF a student is interested in Extra Credit work, they MUST talk to me first to receive approval and instructions. Extra Credit is NOT awarded automatically for randomly completed extra work. All Extra Credit work must be relevant to the unit we are studying.
2021 DC Field Trip: We will be carefully considering our options and opportunities to repeat our hugely successful CloseUp Washington DC field trip in June of 2021, in particular, watching for the end of the COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus. As such, we will let you know IF we begin to plan another Washington DC trip in the coming months.